For further information about support services offered at ANC, highlight the appropriate tab below.
Accommodations may be put in place for students who have diagnosed educational challenges and/or demonstrate a significant academic need. Students and parents will need to meet with the Director of Educational Support to discuss a student’s individual needs and present documentation appropriate to the discussion and consideration of implementing changes to the student’s educational program.
- Are based on a student’s academic record, accommodations received at previous schools, teacher recommendations, and available educational testing or physician’s diagnosis.
- Are assigned either separately or in conjunction with Study Period and/or Homework Coaching at the discretion of the Educational Support Director.
- Follow the same enrollment guidelines as Study Periods.
- A student may change or add an accommodation with the Educational Support Director and written permission of the parents.
- Accommodations are not listed on the student’s official transcript.
One period, 4 days a week. During this period students work on study skills, review and receive re-teaching of subject matter in courses, work on papers/projects with their teacher, study for tests, and do homework. This is a non-graded, non credit course during the school day.
- Study period is assigned to students by the Director of Educational Support.
- The Educational Support Department requires that the student have documentation to substantiate the need for a Study Period. The documentation can consist of any or all of the following:
- Psycho-Educational testing indicating a diagnosis that impacts learning.
- A doctor’s note indicating a medical diagnosis that impacts learning.
- Excessive absence from school.
- A history of academic difficulty indicated by consistent grades in the low 70s and 60s. The school may recommend Psycho-Educational testing to determine the nature of the challenges and the best remediation.
- An IEP, 504 Plan, or a Formal Education Assistance plan from a previous school
- Students with modifications will be automatically enrolled in a study period.
Homework Coaching is offered 4 times a week in the afternoons and evenings. Homework Coaches will assist students with homework and long term assignments. The number of sessions a week will be determined by the student’s advisor and Director of Educational Support Services based on student’s after school commitments and level of academic need.
- Homework Coaching is assigned at the discretion of the Educational Support Department Director for students with the following needs:
- Students who are leaving Study Period and desire homework support after school.
- Students who are enrolled in Study Period but require additional homework supervision after school.
- Students who are assigned long term Study Halls by administration due to frequent incomplete or late homework assignments.
- Students who are referred by their academic advisor.
- All new resident freshmen and sophomores must be enrolled in evening Homework Coaching, but they may be unenrolled with qualifying grades - midterm grades for girls, end of term grades for boys = (all grades above a 78%)
After School Testing
Students who are absent when a test is given may attend after school testing to make up a missed test. A student must make arrangements with the teacher prior to taking the test.
Students who have accommodations through the Educational Support Department for extra time on tests may attend after school testing.
When: Monday- Thursday from 2:00 to 4:00
Where: de Charms Hall 361