The “Bryn Athyn Academy” (comprising ANC Secondary Schools and College) played its first ice hockey game in 1901. In the early days the hockey teams included both high school and college students. At first, these combined hockey teams generally played against other high schools or prep schools, but then, starting in the late 1960s, games against colleges and universities were included on the game schedules. Since 1971-72 the institution has been part of intercollegiate league play, and the College and the Boys’ School have had entirely separate teams since the 1970s. Even though several of the historic hockey teams achieved success and won championships, much of the institution’s hockey history has become largely forgotten. Dr. Fredrik Bryntesson therefore undertook a summer research project to elucidate the ice hockey history of Bryn Athyn.
This presentation will give an overview of the hockey history of the Bryn Athyn Academy including the development of the College’s hockey program. The main focus of the presentation is on the championship season of 1920-21. This team, composed of high school and college students, was arguably one of the best athletics teams in the history of the institution. Such was the strength ofthis team that it also played the Ivy-league teams from University of Pennsylvania and Princeton University. Its captain, Werner Schnarr, is the only Bryn Athyn Secondary School and College alumnus to have played professional ice hockey in the National Hockey League (NHL).