The Academy of the New Church organization began in Philadelphia 1876, under the leadership of Rev. W. H. Benade as Chancellor. The primary goal was preparation of men for the priesthood of the New Church. After a Theological School and a collegiate department (now Bryn Athyn College) were formed, the Boys School was established in 1881. In 1884, a Girls School, privately set up by Sarah deCharms Hibbard, was incorporated into the Academy.
By the turn of the century the entire family of Academy schools had been moved to their current Bryn Athyn location, in what was then the countryside near Philadelphia, in Montgomery County. During the 1960's the College moved to a separate campus across the street.
The goal for the ANC Secondary Schools was to create curricula to enhance the distinctive gifts of each gender to prepare them for life here on earth and in heaven. Through many years of growth and change, that goal has remained constant.
Today the Academy of the New Church, which serves as the parent organization for the ANC Secondary Schools (which includes ANC Girls School and ANC Boys School), and Bryn Athyn College (which includes undergraduate programs and a Theological School), is an accredited private institution that provides excellent academic, religious, and extracurricular opportunities for its many students.